Our modern diets are loaded with additives and preservatives that create cell damage and can have negative effects on the skin, such as acne or dryness.
When we’re properly hydrated, our immune system works much better and our skin looks better too. Not only does the potassium in coconut water help your body rehydrate, it also creates a healthier heart and circulatory system. With more blood pumping through your body and organs, all the cells in your body will receive more oxygen, helping them work more efficiently.
Coconut water contains a variety of nutrients including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, enzymes, growth factors, and other nutrients. All of these minerals are in the form of electrolytes so they are easily absorbable by the human body. Many of the health benefits attributed to coconut water can be traced to its mineral content (This is the same reason that alkaline water like Essentia or Vollara is also so effective.).
Coconut water has saved thousands of lives, especially of children in underdeveloped countries. Ordinary water is not effective in treating severe dehydration caused by vomiting and diarrhea, but because of coconut water’s unique chemical composition it is able to rehydrate the body and give it the strength and energy it needs to fight off the infection. Death rates from cholera are high, but with the use of coconut water survival rates increase to 97 percent.
Coconut water has a therapeutic effect on the urinary and reproductive systems. It is reported to clear-up bladder infections, remove kidney stones, and improve sexual vitality. Medical research has shown that the consumption of coconut water can be very effective in dissolving kidney stones, even when its only consumed 2 to 3 times per week.
Studies demonstrate that coconut water consumption reduces the risk of heart failure in heart disease patients. The evidence is so convincing that the FDA allows coconut water to carry the claim that it “may reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke.”
Because coconut water improves blood circulation, it is of benefit to diabetics. Coconut water helps dilate blood vessels, improves blood flow, and reduces plaque formation. Coconut water also contains certain forms of dietary fiber and amino acids that help moderate sugar absorption and improve insulin sensitivity.
Some of the most interesting components of coconut water are the plant growth hormones, particularly cytokinins. Coconut water is the richest natural dietary source of cytokinins. The anti-cancer effects of cytokinins have been well documented. Cytokinins are also known as anti-aging hormones. Cytokinins regulate cell division and influence the rate at which plants age. In humans, they have a positive influence on human cells and tissues. When cytokinins are applied to the skin, the result is that on the surface of the skin, wrinkles tend to flatten out. Dry, aging skin is replaced with smoother, softer skin.
Coconut is unlike other beverage in that it is completely compatible with the human body, in so much that it can be infused directly into the bloodstream. In fact, doctors have used coconut water successfully as an intravenous fluid for over 60 years.
Summary of the Health Benefits of Coconut Water as Published in Medical Research and Clinical Observations:
- Aids in exercise performance: makes an excellent oral rehydration sports beverage – replaces electrolytes from exercise, heat stress and illness
- Natural isotonic beverage – contains the same level of electrolytes found in human blood
Has 15 times the amount of potassium as most sports and energy drinks (264 mg vs 12.5 mg /100 ml) and more potassium than a banana
- Regulates the intestine: reduces problems for infants suffering from intestinal disturbances; improves digestion; contains nutrients that feed friendly gut bacteria; helps relieve constipation or diarrhea
- Cardioprotective: helps regulate blood pressure (due to high potassium); improves circulation; reduces swelling in hands and feet; prevents abnormal blood clotting
- Support the urinary tract/bladder: aids in kidney function including those with kidney stones
- Helps balance blood sugar in diabeticsSupports good vision and provides nutritional support in those who have a tendency towards glaucoma; reported by some people to reverse cataractsPossesses anti-aging properties: contains potent antioxidants; provides nutrients important in preventing osteoporosis
- Nutritional support for healthy skin: restores strength and elasticity to skin; reduces age spots; reduces wrinkles and sagging; promotes clearer, acne free skin; promotes smoother, more hydrated skin
- Enhances healing of wounds and lesions
- Nutritionally supports immune function
Where to Find Coconut Water:
You can now get coconut water in easy-to-carry bottles, cans, and tetra paks from many health food stores, Asian markets, some grocery stores and even on Amazon.com.
One of our favorite coconut water brands at Feel Good Buzz is C2O by Sunsweet Naturals.
Dr. Bruce Fife is a certified nutritionist and naturopathic physician. He is the author of 20 books including Coconut Water for Health and Healing and serves as the director of the Coconut Research Center, http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/. This excerpt of his article has only scratched the surface.
(Excerpted from http://www.litalee.com/shopexd.asp?id=388, http://www.benefitsofcoconutwater.info/2010/12/benefits-of-coconut-water-how-it-can-help-clear-your-skin, and http://www.benefitsofcoconutwater.info/2010/12/benefits-of-coconut-water-how-it-can-help-clear-your-skin)
To learn more about the benefits of coconut and coconut oil, please visit our fats and oils blog category on Feel Good Buzz.