Excerpted from Dr. Mark Cochran’s “The pH System- Special Edition pH Weight Loss System Included” . . .
12 Foods/Substances to Avoid (Education Principle #8):
1. Pork- “The other white meat” is full of colorings, preservatives, nitrates, and salt. This is a very stimulatory food and is difficult for the body to digest. (FGB Recommendation: There are an amazing amount of tasty, organic alternatives to pork nowadays. For barbeque, use organic beef instead or pork. Try Applewood Farms’ frozen turkey sausages for a great alternative to pork sausage. Learn more about the dangers of pork and check out the sausage by Applewood Farms at http://www.feelgoodbuzz.com/tasty-healthy-alternative-to-eating-pork.html)
2. Shellfish- Most of these are bottom feeders. They consume anything that dies in the ocean and becomes debris, as well as the many toxic chemicals being dumped into waters (pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, industrial run-off, petroleum products). Shrimp may be an exception because they swim and feed on plankton. (FGB: The Institute of Ecolonomics, http://www.ecolonomics.org/mainsite/?page_id=45, in Loveland, Colorado is currently doing research and development on growing sustainable, indoor, organic commericial shrimp.)
3. Margarine Products- Margarine is a man-made “food.” New studies now show that margarine can raise your blood cholesterol and increase vascular and cardiac stress. Peanut butter (commercially made) falls in this category, along with cooking products like Crisco. Real butter is actually a much better food than margarine. (FGB recommendation: Extra virgin, organic coconut oil often works even better than organic butter for many things. For example, we prefer coconut oil over butter for our grilled cheese sandwiches. Visit this link to learn more about coconut oil: http://www.feelgoodbuzz.com/coconut-oil-the-forgotten-critical-super-food.html.)
4. Artificial Sweeteners- Nutrasweet/Equal/Aspartame/Splenda, etc., are toxic to your nervous system. (Also, beware, of Nutrasweet’s new name “AminoSweet”.) In 1988, 80% of complaints the FDA received were due to artificial sweeteners. Even certain brain tumors can be a side effect. (FGB: Stick with organic stevia, it comes in non-bitter form now. Or, use raw, organic honey for optimal health.)
5. Junk Foods- Empty-calorie foods that cause your body to “steal” vitamins, minerals, and enzymes from elsewhere in your system in order to digest them. Soft drinks are very acidic and will make your system very acidic. (FGB: If you must indulge, you can find “healthy junk food” that doesn’t contain dangerous artificial preservatives and junk sweeteners, etc. in health food stores. Make sure to still read the ingredients carefully though. Canola oil, a known brain toxin, for example, is in a lot of products, even in health food stores.)
6. Mayonnaise- Is almost all fat and preservatives. Use organic if you do use mayonnaise. (FGB Recommendation: Use Grapeseed Oil Vegenaise by Follow your Heart. It’s so delicious and creamy that you’ll never miss the other stuff you used to use. You can find this in most health food stores.)
7. Caffeine- Is a stimulant. Just 2 cups per day increases your chance of disease by 50%. Cut down and then cut it out. If you drink 10 cups, eliminate 1 cup and drink 9 until your body is used to that and so forth. This may prevent you from suffering from headaches and other symptoms of withdrawal. The more outside stimulation your body receives, the less internal regulation and the less energy you have.
8. Chlorine and Fluoride- These lock up alkalizing minerals in the body. (FGB Recommendation: Get a home water purification system, etc. that filters out fluoride and chlorine. Also, buy fluoride-free toothpaste.)
9. MSG- Very stimulatory, addictive, and allergy producing. This is an inorganic salt that the body cannot break down. Be sure to check labels- MSG is in a lot of processed foods! (FGB: If you enjoy eating Chinese food, start frequenting restaurants that advertise being “msg-free” and/or ask for “no msg” in your food.)
10. Calcium- It’s best to get your calcium from the vegetable world, especially from greens. Sure, milk has a lot of calcium, but it also has a lot of protein and phosphorus which has a negative effect on calcium in the body. And, studies indicate the people who drink the most milk have the most instances of osteoporosis. (FGB: The best sources of calcium are: Dried herbs, such as dried savory; parmesan cheese; sesame seeds; almonds; flax seed; raw turnip greens; dandelion greens; kale; mustard greens; brazil nuts and herring. Make sure to buy organic.)
11. Alcohol Products- Alcohol is one of the very few substances that can be absorbed directly into the blood stream from the stomach. Water is the only other substance. Drink water instead. (FGB: We recommend alkalizing Vollara water, http://www.myvollara.com/feelgoodbuzz, or Essentia bottled water.)
12. Aluminum- If you are cooking in aluminum pans or foil, the aluminum is absorbing into your food. Studies indicate that aluminum has been linked to Alzheimer’s Disease. Aluminum is also in most deodorants. (FGB: It took us a while to find a natural, aluminum-free deoderant combination that actually works! You can buy this combination separately in health food stores, like Whole Foods: “Roll-On Deoderant” by Herbal Magic and “Papaya Fusion Spray Mist” by Naturally Fresh Deoderant Crystal.)
(To read more about Dr. Mark Cochran’s pH balance system, see our April, 2011 post: http://www.feelgoodbuzz.com/how-is-ph-balance-connected-to-healing-healthy-living-and-disease-prevention.html)